Hello! I’ve started making plans for my next project: a robot butler who will fetch me beer. Here’s the idea:
- Lego Mindstorms control unit – easy to hack and send my own commands to/from.
- Lego motors, wheels and gears etc. to create a versatile, maneuverable platform thing.
- Kinect sensor to assess the environment
- Raspberry Pi to think about where the robot is looking, where it might go and to send the necessary commands to the Mindstorms unit.
- Leapmotion controller to sense me pointing to the fridge, thus commanding the robot to retrieve beer.
What do you think? I for one welcome our new beer-fetching robot overlords.
I should make special mention of the new Leap Motion device. If it works as well as the demos have shown it will be a truly stunning, possibly revolutionary gadget. I’ve applied to be a developer for this amazing piece of kit. My pitch was the robot butler thing. Hopefully the Leap people like me and my half-baked ideas.